The curriculum of Electronics and communication Engineering has been designed to match with the standard curriculum of all leading universities of the country. The curriculum is divided into different levels of skill for the students throughout the 4 years of BTech course. The first year includes Basic Science, Basic Engineering and Mathematics courses, second year includes foundation courses of E&C, third year includes applied courses of E&C and 4th year includes diversified courses (in the form of electives) to cater to the needs of the interest of the students as well as help students to apply the skills of applied and basic science and mathematics for pursuing multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary courses. In addition to the course work in 4th year, one full semester (8th semester) is dedicated for a major project that the students undertake in an industry or research organization for exposing them to industrial/R&D culture of the country. This exposure has the objective of producing industry and R&D ready graduates.
To achieve eminence in the field of quality technological education and research in Communication, Remote Sensing, VLSI & Embedded System and other Electronics related fields.
To evolve into a department of excellence capable of producing competent techno-managers who can contribute effectively to the advancement of the society.
· To prepare students to identify, formulate and solve real life and industrial problems with their knowledge of electronics and communication engineering.
· To develop techno-managerial ability to execute assigned responsibilities.
· To provide the guidance to develop moral and ethical attitudes.
· To provide education to adapt novel technologies towards the betterment of human life and society.
|Program Educational Objectives (B. Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering)
|Program Educational Objectives (PEO) - M. Tech
"Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering at a Glance"
The inception of Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering dates back to the earliest days of the university in the year 1997 and remains one of its distinctive features. Having established with a firm footing in the field of technical education today, we can proudly reminiscence a wonderful period of growth by leaps and bounds for almost 25 long years. The department stemmed with intent to provide educational innovation, advance knowledge and educate student. This spirit still guides us in every possible way to tailor, shape and build the finest technocrats.
The cohesive unit of 26 dedicated, qualified and motivated faculty members with a blend of experience and exuberance led by a young and vibrant leader has held the departmental banner flying high for the last 25 years. With expertise in diverse fields ranging from IOT, 5G, Satellite Communication, Signal Processing, Microwave and Antenna, , the department is proud to have honed for over 1500 alumni till date. The enduring dedication and commitment of our faculty members and students has fueled many quality research publications with citations. Apart from regular academic course, the teachers and students are also engaged in conducting workshops in alliance with renowned external agencies like IITs, ISRO, DRDO, ISI Kolkata, University of Calcutta, to name a few. These workshops have been immensely beneficial to its participants which are proven by the skill levels exhibited by them.
The rigorous training that the students undergo makes them worthy professionals with mental agility and technical skill sets sought after by the IT Industry. No wonder, the students of Electronics and Communication Engineering bag the most number of on-campus placement offers and our glittering alumni are working with organizations like Ericsson, Medtronic, Wipro,Infosys, TCS, Cognizant, Wipro, Hutchison Global Communication, Microsoft, Dell, ixia, Idemia to name a few. The department is an educational avenue for three different courses namely; B.tech, M.Tech and PhD. With the AICTE sanctioned intake of 120 for UG and 18 for PG course the department alone is home to over 300 students.
The department is enriched with Twelve established state–of-art laboratories namely:
- ELECTRONIC DEVICES AND COMPONENTS LAB
- SIGNAL AND CIRCUIT SIMULATION LAB
- DIGITAL SYSTEM LAB
- OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING LAB WITH C++
- ADVANCED COMMUNICATION LAB
- MICROPROCESSOR LAB
- DIGITAL ELECTRONICS LAB
- COMMUNICATION LAB
- ANALOG ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS LAB
- MICROWAVE LAB
- EMBEDDED SYSTEM/VLSI LAB
- DSP LAB
With active support and funding received from two of our esteemed agencies i.e. DRDO and ISRO three labs were established to enable our students to pursue research and development activities, along with continuous development in infrastructure. The department has a well maintained department library having over 560+ titles for ready reference and issue.
IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), ECSA (Electronics and Communication Student Association) are two student’s society which provides a platform for our budding engineers to showcase their technical and cultural creativity. Departmental Techno-Cultural Fest ECHELON is an annual affair wherein students expose their mesmerizing performances in sports, games, co-curricular, cultural and technical activities.
Department offers minor specilization in:
B.Tech Minor Specialization
VLSI & Nanotechnology
Internet of Things (IOT)
In the academic front students are exposed to the core subjects includes: Analog and Digital Electronics, Analog and Digital Communication, Microprocessors, Microwave and Antenna, Digital Signal Processing, Mobile Communication, Satellite Communication, IOT.Most sought after branch during admissions.
Recent Trends in Electronics and Communication Engineering
Data Era: data
VLSI and Nano technology
Wireless Sensor Networks
Implementation of 5g-iot
- Well Equipped Lab Facilities
- >90% Placement for eligible students
- Cutting Edge elective subjects are offered.
- Motivated for higher studies in foreign universities.
- Latest specialized elective subjects offered.
- Honors' course in VLSI & Nanotechnology, IoT and Signal Processing.
- Electronic Devices and Circuits
- Digital, analog and wireless communication
- Digital Signal Processing
- Mobile Communication
- Embedded System design
- The E&C Dept. at SMIT has signed an MOU for R&D works with DRDO.
- Department is further exploring various R&D activities with reputed R&D institutes like SAMEER, Kolkata, Govt. of India and others.
· Atul Shrivastava published a book titled “Census Data Analysis and Decision-Making System - A Digital Approach for Census”, in Lambert Academic Publishing, 2020.
· Hashinur Islam (Ph.D. Scholar) published more than 04 SCI Papers, presented more than 04 Papers in Scopus-Indexed Conferences and completed more than 06 Online Technical Courses, 2019-2020.
· Lalit Chettri (Ph.D Scholar) published paper titled “A Comprehensive Survey on Internet of Things (IoT) toward 5G Wireless Systems” in IEEE Internet of Things Journal and received National Youth Icon Award on 27th September, 2019 at New Delhi.
· Shauvick Das presented Paper titled “Design and Development of IoT Based Low-cost Robust Home Security System” in ICCDN, 2019 and got the Best Paper Award.
· Anmol Chettri was declared as Runner-Up in Mr. & Miss Kaalrav, 2020.
· Ravi Kumar got 1st Prize in 79 Kg Category of Open Bench Press Inclined Championship held on 9th February, 2020 in Sikkim.
· Five students from the Department won special award at Science and Engineering fair held in Kolkata on 9th January, 2019 for their innovative projects on smart embedded systems. The five days technical fair was organized by Birla Industrial and Technological Museum under National Council of Science Museum, Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India.
· Mr. Nishant Gupta won awards in the events “SF Idol”, “Solo Singing Competition”, and “Lakeside Dreams”, Spring Fest-2019 held at IIT Guwahati & IIT Kharagpur in the month of January, 2019.
The department is also involved in community services like:
· News Paper Drive: Old newspapers were collected and sold. The money collected was donated to a local school. It was held on 15th September, 2019.
· Old Clothes Donation Drive: Old Clothes of faculty and students were collected and sold. The money collected was donated to a local school. It was held on 15th September, 2019.
· Blood Donation Camp: On 16th February, 2020, ECSA organized a blood donation camp in collaboration with the CRH, Gangtok. Around 10 Staffs from CRH Gangtok and more than 60 participants donated blood and made the campaign successful.
- Communication Waveform for 4G/5G Robotics
- Smart Antenna
- Beam formation Techniques
- Millimetre Wave Communication for 5G IoT Applications
- Cognitive Radio
- Energy Harvesting and Sustainable Machine To Machine (M2M) communication
- 5G based Emerging URLLC applications like Internet of Vehicles, Tele-Surgery
- Data Analytics (Big Data and Cloud Computing)
- Wireless Security in Smart Grids
- Block Chain
- Use Cases of 5G IoT: Smart Energy Monitoring System, Smart Lighting System and others
- Implementation of 5g-Iot communication system