The Department of Physics at Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, SMU is focused to upgrade the knowledge of physics for teaching and advanced research. The department has upgraded its laboratory and research facilities by funds of Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India under FIST program. It has a dedicated computer centre with high-end server with internet facility for postgraduate students where they learn programming languages like C/C++/Graphics/ and various software packages like Mathematica, PSPICE, GEANT4.
A full time two year MSc (Physics) course approved by UGC was started by the department in 1999. The department is proud to have a team of very experienced and dedicated faculty members with varied specialisations in particle, plasma, condensed matter physics and electronics. Specialisations in above areas are offered to the students as a choice in the second year.
The department offers PhD program in all above specialisations and gives the appropriate research environment to young physicists. The department also offers teaching assistantships to deserving candidates based on vacancies to pursue the research in the department.
The Department regularly has to its credit various research papers as publications in journals and workshop/conference proceedings.
- First time, our department has introduced PG course for basic science.
- First department to get FIST from DST.
- Curriculum is designed to facilitate students in pursuing higher education in India and abroad.
- Some meritorious students are being sent to participate in summer school programs organized by Research Institute.
- High Energy Physics
- Plasma Physics
- Thin film
- Calcutta University
- Rajasthan University
- IIT, Kharagpur
- Bose Institute, Kolkata
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Calcutta
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Calcutta
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai
- Institute of Physics, Bhubaneshwar
- Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
- IIT, Ropar
- High Energy Nuclear Physics
- String Theory
- Nonlinear waves in Plasma
- Plasma processing
- X-Ray astronomy
- Nano technology
- Simulation study of nonlinear waves
- Nonlinear dynamics
Click here to view the list of department equipments