The Department has well - equipped laboratories and workshops with latest equipment/machineries as per the requirement of modern industry. Besides the conventional machine tools, the department also has CNC machines and softwares like Pro-E, ANSYS, CNC Lathe, Cut Viewer, Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing Lab.
The Fluid Mechanics Lab, Thermal Engineering Lab, Dynamics Lab and Strength of Materials Lab have well-designed equipments to complement the knowledge gathered in these fields. Apart from quality teaching, the faculty members are actively engaged in research in the areas of Micro and Nano-Machining, Energy Management, Metal Cutting, Optimisation, Production Management and Operation Research, Quality Management etc.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOS)
- To excel in industries, technological fields and professional/personal career.
- To develop ability to apply mathematical, scientific and engineering concept to solve real life industrial problems.
- To develop engineering analytical skills in analyzing, designing and developing useful novel products related to mechanical engineering.
- To develop effective communication skills, multidisciplinary approach, excellent teamwork spirit and ability to lead the team.
- To exhibit professionalism with high moral, social and ethical values.
- To provide strong foundation of mechanical engineering for higher education and research.
PROGRAM OUTCOME (PO)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of modern manufacturing system, Advanced non traditional method of manufacturing, rapid prototyping.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using advanced manufacturing technology, optimizational tools and techniques.
- Design/development of solutions: Design and solutions for complex engineering problems in manufacturing world.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern manufacturing engineering tools including modelling to complex engineering problem in micro manufacturing world.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOME (PSO)
The Mechanical Engineering Graduates will be able:
- to understand the principle and theory of any mechanical system, machines and equipments independently.
- to conceive, design and fabricate components, mechanical device and mechanical system.
- to design and perform laboratory experiments of Thermal, Fluid Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Dynamics of Machine, Metrology, Metal Cutting and Automobile Engineering.
- to operate and maintain the machine and equipments properly.
- to work on mechanical engineering softwares like Cadian, CATIA, AutoCAD, Pro-E, Creo and ANSYS.
- to apply the acquire knowledge in mechanical engineering from fabrication, operation, designing of a components/system/devices to fabrication, calibration, operation and documentations.
COURSE OUTCOME, PROGRAM OUTCOME AND SYLLABUS
- Passed (10+2) or equivalent with Physics & Mathematics as compulsory subjects and Chemistry or Computer Science or Biotechnology or Biology, as one of the optional subjects. They must have secured a minimum of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC) marks in aggregate in these subjects to be considered for selection.
- Candidate with a diploma in the appropriate branch of engineering awarded by a State Board of Technical Education, and with at least 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC) in aggregate in diploma is also eligible for admission to B Tech Curriculum.
a) General Category, Defence, North East, Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) and Paramilitary Force Categories:
- The candidates will have to appear for the JEE to be conducted by the CBSE.
- Cut-off JEE Main Score in All India JEE applicable to all reserved categories will be displayed on our website www.smu.edu.in.
b) Sikkim Category:
- Candidates should apply to the Director, Technical Education, HRDD and Government of Sikkim. They should appear in the entrance test conducted by the Government, the details of which will be notified by the Director, HRDD, Technical Education.
c) MU-OET Category:
- Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET) 2017
d) SMIT Offline Test:
- Candidates seeking admission under this category will have to appear for offline written test conducted at various centres by SMU.