Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department at SMIT offers Bachelor of Technology in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, a unique mix of electrical, electronics and computer related courses enabling the students to take up professional career / higher studies in any of these areas. The curriculum based on a credit scheme is updated periodically to reflect changes in the electrical & electronics profession in consultation with experts from industries and renowned academic institutions well aware of the recent trends in Electrical and Electronics Engineering syllabus.
Some of the unique features about Electrical and Electronics Engineering here are that innovative practices like practice school, mini and major projects associated with lab and theory courses, continuous evaluation, relative grading, etc are included as part of the curriculum of Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree.
- To produce world-class electrical and electronics engineering graduates capable of performing in rapidly changing fields of electrical and electronics engineering.
- To provide high-value education and research.
- Striving for increased national and international recognitions by practicing excellence in all its education and research endeavors.
- To develop Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department into a department of excellence, capable of producing competent Electrical and Electronics Engineers who can contribute to the advancement of the society.
- The department is dedicated to endow students with the knowledge, technical skills, and values that prepare them to excel as engineers and leaders in their profession and to be committed to life-long learning and good citizens.
Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department has as its objectives to:
- Create Electrical and Electronics Engineering graduates required as manpower in the industry, research organization, educational institutions, and government organizations.
- Provide required infrastructure in the electrical and electronics engineering skills developments, in the form of adequate class rooms, well equipped laboratory and research facilities.
- Teach and train students with advanced teaching methodology to make them sound electrical engineers with high level of manners and etiquettes.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POS)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOME (PSO)
- Solve and analyze electrical circuits, network systems and signal level electronic circuits. Design and interface a microprocessor/microcontroller/embedded system, programming, measuring and sensing equipment.
- Ability to operate, program and simulate, calibrate and verify the prototypes of various electrical machines, measurement equipment, control system, signal level electronic circuits, power electronics converters, power system equipment, microprocessor and microcontroller in the laboratory.
- Ability to analyze and design single line diagram of a power distribution network, suggest protection scheme, and economize the power system.
- To operate and control various electrical machines like transformers, d.c. and ac machines, special electrical motors using the knowledge of power electronics based converters and electric drives.
- To formulate a mathematical model of an electrical system to analyze it to determine its stability, controllability, observability etc. and apply various controllers to improve the stability and reduce steady state error of a control system.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVE (PEO)
- To produce technically competent engineers with human values, who can solve practical problems.
- To possess fundamental and in-depth knowledge of electrical & electronics engineering, basic sciences, applied mathematics, management.
COURSE OUTCOME, PROGRAM OUTCOME AND SYLLABUS
- Electrical and Electronics engineers are highly employable and can find work in many industries, including power, electronics, automotive, IT, telecoms, manufacturing, transport, utilities and construction.
- Many global electrical and electronics organizations maintain research and development facilities within India and abroad.
- Candidates must have passed (10+2) or equivalent with Physics & Mathematics as compulsory subjects and Chemistry or Computer Sciences or Biotechnology or Biology, as one of the optional subjects. They must have secured a minimum of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC) marks in aggregate in these subjects to be considered for selection.
- Candidate with a diploma in the appropriate branch of engineering awarded by a State Board of Technical Education, and with at least 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC) in aggregate in diploma is also eligible for admission to the first year of B Tech.
a) General Category, Defence, North East, Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) and Paramilitary Force Categories:
- The candidates will have to appear for the JEE to be conducted by the CBSE.
- Cut-off JEE Main Score in All India JEE applicable to all reserved categories will be displayed on our website www.smu.edu.in.
b) Sikkim Category:
- Candidates should apply to the Director, Technical Education, HRDD and Government of Sikkim. They should appear in the entrance test conducted by the Government, the details of which will be notified by the Director, HRDD, Technical Education.
c) MU-OET Category:
- Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET) 2017
d) SMIT Offline Test:
- Candidates seeking admission under this category will have to appear for offline written test conducted at various centres by SMU.