Program Educational Objectives
The Department of Chemistry at Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT), SMU was established in 1997 and it offers BSc Chemistry (Honours), MSc (Chemistry) and PhD (Chemistry) courses. BSc Chemistry (Honours) course is being offered from 2022-2023 academic session onwards. The department also provides fundamental courses to BTech first year students like BTech Engineering Chemistry, BTech Engineering Chemistry Lab and Environmental Science.
The department covers all major areas of chemistry, viz inorganic, organic and physical chemistry. The MSc syllabus which is comparable with all leading universities / institutes caters to the intellectual aspirations of the students and they are exposed to the latest in the field.
The students have the opportunity to take specialised courses of their choice (Medicinal Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry, Chemistry of Nanomaterial, Polymer Chemistry, Bio-inorganic Chemistry and Supra-molecular Chemistry).
The Department of Chemistry has successfully organized a two (02) day conference on Recent Trends in Chemistry in collaboration with Association of Chemistry teachers Homi bhabha centre for science education Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)Mumbai – 400088 during 17-18 February 2017. [Conference Webiste]
The Department of Chemistry has also successfully organized a two (02) day "Science Academies" Lecture Workshop on "Emerging trends in Chemistry and its pharmaceutical applications" during 30 - 31 October 2017. This workshop was sponsored by Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore; Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi and The National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad.
- Established in 1997 along with the Institute, the department has moved forward with the opening of M.Sc. from 2003 & Ph.D programmes from 2003.
- Professionalism is the benchmark and students are trained in every aspect.
- Scholarship to meritorious students of M.Sc. is awarded by awarded by SICPA India Ltd., Sikkim in each academic year.
- Department is funded by DST- FIST programme.
- Three sponsored Research projects completed from AICTE, DST and DRDO, Govt. of India.
- Two ongoing Research projects from AICTE, Govt. of India.
- Organized National and International Conferences/Workshops/Seminar by the department regularly.
- Pharmaceutical companies like CIPLA, CADILLA, TORRENT, SUN PHARMA, participate in campus recruitment drive.
- Well equipped laboratory with efficient equipment like UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, DSC & TGA (STA Thermal Analyzer), Fluorescence spectroscopy
- Department is approved by UGC and certified by ISO 9001. .
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Pt Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
- North Bengal University, Siliguri
- North East Institute of Science & Technology (NEIST-CSIR), Jorhat
- Birla Institute of Techmology, Mesra
- IASC, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Tezpur Central University, Tezpur
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- University of Hyderabad
- IIT Guwahati
- Polymer Composites and Adhesive Bonding.
- Chemical and Optical Sensors
- Medicinal Plants of Sikkim
- Nanomaterials and Nano structured materials.
- Organic synthesis
- Water Pollution
- Biodiversity Conservation
Click here to view the list of department equipments