About Institution’s Innovation Council, SMIT (IIC-SMIT)
Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Sikkim, to foster entrepreneurship initiatives among the students Institution’s Innovation Cell (IIC) was established in 2019 under the aegis of Ministry of Education’s Innovation Cell (MIC). The role of IIC would be to identify and nurture technology-based innovative startups. IIC primarily focuses on Entrepreneurship, Start-Ups, Innovation and IPR.
Institution’s Innovation Council - SMIT
Composition of the Council (2022-23)
- President : Prof. (Dr.) Gurdaman Lal Sharma, Director, SMIT (HOI)
- Vice President : Dr. Bikash Sharma, Asso. Prof & Head, E Cell, SMIT
- Convener : Dr. Krishna Vijay Kumar Singh, Asst. Prof (SG), Dept of CA, SMIT
- Coordinator (IPR Activity) : Prof (Dr) Udit Kumar Chakraborty, HOD, Dept of CSE, SMIT
- Coordinator (ARIIA) : Dr. Amrita Biswas, Asso. Prof & Dy Registrar (Adm) Dept of ECE Dept., SMIT
- Coordinator (Social Media) : Dr. Sanat Kumar Das, Asst. Prof, Dept of Physics, SMIT
- Coordinator (Start-up Activity) : Mr. Saurabh Sharma, Asst. Prof (SG), Dept of ME, SMIT
- Coordinator (Internship Activity) : Dr. Nitai Paitya, Asso. Prof & CTTO, Dept of CSE, SMIT
- Coordinator (Innovation Activity ): Mr. Bijay Rai, Asst. Prof, Dept of EEE, SMIT
- Coordinator (NIRF) : Dr. Barnali Dey, Asst. Prof (SG), Dept of IT, SMIT
- Dr. Rustam Ali Ahmed, Asst. Prof (SG) & Head IT Council, Dept of IT, SMIT
- Mr. Prasan Ralph Dewan, Asst. Prof, Dept ME, SMIT
- Mr. Nirmal Rai, Asst. Prof, Dept of IT, SMIT
- Mr. Abhranil Adak, Asst. Prof, Dept of CE, SMIT
- Mr. Premchand Kumar Mahto, Asst. Prof, Dept of ME, SMIT
- Dr. Manjari Sharma, Asst. Prof, Dept of Mgt Studies, SMIT
- Ms. Soumili Bishnu, Asst. Prof, Dept of Mgt Studies, SMIT
- Lt Col. D.B Chettri (Retd), Head Administration, SMIT
- Mr. Binod Hingmang, Asst. Manager (Finance), SMIT
- Mr. Prakash Chandra Gurung, Office Supdt, SMIT
External Members :-
- Prof. (Dr.) Tejbanta Singh Chingtham CEO, AIC-SMUTBI (Incubator)
- Mr. Gopal Lama, Chief Manager, Lead Bank, SBI (Bank/Investor)
- Mr. Saurabh Trivedi, Boudhik Ventures Pvt. Ltd. (Patent Expert)
- Mr. Karma Lhendup Bhutia, Netspeq Solns. (Expert from nearby Industry)
- Mr. Sumit Thakur, Untapd Technologies (Alumni Start-up)
- Jyoti Rai, M. Tech (CSE), Regd No 202127007, 2nd Year
- Anuraag Priyadarshi, B. Tech (ECE), Regd No 202000247, 3rd Year
- Hari Om, B. Tech (IT), Regd No 202000004, 3rd Year
- Apurv Ranjan, B. Tech (ECE), Regd No 202000347, 3rd Year
- Co-Ordinator : Sneha Agarwal, CSE, Regd No 202000067, 3rd Year
- Co-Ordinator : Aryan Raj Pradhan, IT, Regd No 202000012, 3rd Year
- Co-Ordinator : Aditya Raj, Regd No202116046, BCA, 2nd Year
- Diwas Mundra, CSE, Regd No 202000034, 3rd Year
- Shivashish Lama, IT, Regd No 202000231, 3rd Year
- Aryan Lohia, CSE, Regd No 202100437, 2nd Year
- Arpita Ghosh, EEE, Regd No 202100184, 2nd Year
- Vivek Namsani, CSE, Regd No 202100045, 2nd Year
- Mamta Pradhan, BCA, Regd No 202116016, 2nd Year
- Ankit Ranjan, CSE, Regd No 202200169,1st Year
- Gudala Rishikesh Sree Manikanta, ECE, Regd No 202200535, 1st Year
- Rohan Bezewada, BCA, Regd No 202216089, 1st Year
- Co-Ordinator : Jaydeep, MCA, Regd No 202222021, 1st Year.
- Co-Ordinator : Harsha Ranjan, CSE, Regd No 202000406, 3rd Year
- Co-Ordinator : Sushma Oinam, IT, Regd No 202000048, B. Tech, 3rd Year
- Satyam Pradhan, MCA, Regd No 202222023, 1st Year
- Shashank Shekhar, MCA, Regd No 202222012, 1st Year
- Hemant, ECE, Regd No 202000338, 2nd Year
- Sweta Kumari, BCA, Regd No 202116034, 2nd Year
- Tasso Hibung, BCA, Regd No 202116011, 2nd Year
- Prachi Singh, CSE, Regd No 202200317, 1st Year
- Nikhil Kumar, CSE, Regd No 202200511, 1st Year
- Co-Ordinator : Ritik Kumar, IT, Regd No 202000389, 3rd Year.
- Co-Ordinator : Aridip Chatterjee, ECE, Regd No 202000470, 3rd Year
- Isha Choudhary, CSE, Regd No 202100348, 2nd Year
- Habib Ur Rahman, CSE, Regd No 202100235,2nd Year
- Hansika Shyamala, CSE, Regd No 202100470, 2nd Year
- Niraj Sharma, EEE, Regd No 202213523, 2nd Year
- Jyoti Agarwal, CSE, Regd No 202100160, 2nd Year
- Anurag Mehta, CSE,Regd No 202200514, 1st Year
- Chitra Kumari, CSE, Regd No 202200388, 1st Year
- Swastik Chowdhury, BBA, Regd No 202219030, 1st Year
- Nancy, BCA, Regd No 202216042, 1st Year
- Co-Ordinator : Kumar Abhishek, MCA, Regd No 202222011, 1st Year
- Co-Ordinator : Bodhisattva Das, CSE, Regd No 202000425, 3rd Year
- Co-Ordinator : Sanket, CSE, Regd No 202000513, 3rd Year
- Rohan Gupta, ECE, Regd No 202112503,3rd Year
- Rajshree Kaur, CSE, Regd No 202000370, 3rd Year
- Namrata Parbat, CSE, Regd No 202100136, 2nd Year
- Swayam Singh, AI&DS, Regd No 202100144, 2nd Year
- Aavash Basnet, EEE, Regd No 202100023, 2nd Year
- Sanskriti Kumari, BBA, Regd No 202219039, 1st Year
- Anay Kusre, ME, Regd No 202200379, 1st Year
- Aniruddha Chakraborty, CSE, Regd No 202200252, 1st Year
- Arnab Das, IT, Regd No 202100274, 1st Year
- Co-Ordinator : Khushi Lamichaney, CSE, Regd No 202000015, 3rd Year
- Co-Ordinator : Riya Bazgain, CSE, Regd No 202000533, 3rd Year
- Co-Ordinator : Yash Jha, CSE, Regd No 202100032, 2nd Year
- Kirubahar B, CSE, Regd No 202000461, 2nd Year
- Srotoswinee Saha, CSE, Regd No 20210005, 2nd Year
- Arnab Das, IT, Regd No 202100274, 2nd Year
- Lakshaya Thapa, CSE, Regd No 202100002, 2nd year
- Shail Pradhan, CSE, Regd No 202200105, 1st Year
- Aditi Guha, BBA, Regd No 202219029, 1st Year
- Swastik Chowdhury, BBA, Regd No 202219030, 1st Year
- Aniruddha Chakraborty, CSE, Regd No 202200252, 1st Year
- Om Soni, EEE, Regd No 202200395, 1st Year
MAJOR FOCUS OF IIC
- Start-up supporting Mechanism.
- To create a vibrant local innovation ecosystem.
- Develop better Cognitive abilities for Technical Students.
- Establish Function Ecosystem for Scouting Ideas and Pre-incubation of Ideas.
- Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) is an initiative of the Ministry of Education (MoE), Govt. of India to systematically rank all major higher educational institutions and universities in India on indicators related to “Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development” amongst students and faculties. We prepare institutes for the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements Framework as Atal Ranking of Institutions on Achievements based on innovation.
FUNCTIONS OF IIC-SMIT
- We conduct various innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities prescribed by Central MIC in a time-bound fashion.
- We organize periodic seminars, webinars, and workshops with entrepreneurs, investors, and professionals and create a mentor pool for student innovators.
- We hold networks with peers and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
- We create an Institution’s Innovation portal to highlight innovative projects carried out by the institution’s faculty and students.
- We organize Hackathons, idea competitions, mini-challenges, etc. with the involvement of industries.
- We identify and reward innovations and share success stories.
IIC-SMIT’S ADVANTAGES TO INSTITUTE, FACULTY, AND STUDENTS
- There is No requirement for major capital investment for establishing IIC as it will make use of the existing local ecosystem.
- Students/Faculty associated with IIC will get exclusive opportunities to participate in various Innovation related initiatives and competitions organized by MHRD.
- Meet/Interact with renowned Business Leaders and top-notch academicians.
- Opportunity to nurture and prototype new ideas.
- Visit new places and learn about a new culture.
- Experimentation with new/latest technologies.
- Win exciting Prizes/Certificates every month.
- Mentoring by Industry Professionals.
IIC-SMIT, Sikkim is planning to conduct various innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities such as periodic workshops, seminars, interactions, and webinars with entrepreneurs, investors, and professionals and create a bridge toward a mentor pool for student innovators. This ideally is expected to bring outcomes such as successful innovative projects carried out by the institution’s faculty and students. Hackathons, idea competitions, Ideathons, and other mini-challenges are some of the other programs which can also be organized by IIC-SMIT.
Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT) provides a plethora of opportunities for young and budding innovators and entrepreneurs
The Institution's Innovation Council (IIC) is an initiative of the Ministry of Education, Govt. of India to encourage Start-Ups and Entrepreneurship
The Atal Incubation Centre (AIC) initiative of the Atal Innovation Mission, Niti Ayog, GoI. It provides the startups with a platform and the resources needed for them to develop into a company.
PRE-INCUBATION & INCUBATION:
The Innovator(s) prepare a pitch deck and pitch their idea to the board of IIC. The board then decides whether or not the idea is good enough to be pre-incubated, suggests the necessary changes, and discusses the further steps to be taken with the idea.
Once the startup has completed the pre-incubation stage, i.e., all the work that has to be done at the pre-incubation stage has been carried out, the startup is then eligible to be incubated at incubators such as AIC which has a center at SMIT's campus itself, for further growth and development.
The incubator then takes charge and guides the startup to complete the incubation phase and helps it in any and every manner possible to make the best out of every opportunity that comes its way to grow and expand.
FACILITIES AVAILABLE & INITIATIVES :
- Institutions’ Innovation Council (IIC)
- Pre/Incubation Centre
- IPR Cell (supported by DST, GoS)
- Innovation Studio (housing projects and prototypes)
- Cohorts for start-ups, Hackathons, Bootcamps, Workshops, Ideathons, Competitions, Technical Fare, etc.
- 106 students and 14 faculty members are directly involved so far in Innovation and Start-Up activities through the council.
- External experts in Entrepreneurship, startups, and IPR from industry, incubator, Lead Bank, and legal consultancy firms are included in the council for mentoring of pre/incubatees and other students/faculties.
The IPR cell came into existence on 21st Jan 2020 vide office order no.: 1094/SMIT/OO/21/2020 with the support of the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of Sikkim vide letter Ref. No.: 12/SSCS&T/2020 dated 13/01/2020. The aim of IPR Cell is to create awareness and provide guidance to faculty members, research scholars, and students on intellectual property rights.
Currently, 40+ patents have been filed and granted by individuals. Although, all the patents granted and filed are at the individual level.
The Pre-Incubation Centre aims to empower students with an entrepreneurial mindset and business skills necessary to create their own venture from the ground up, help them develop intrapreneurship skills, and get them started on their entrepreneurial journey.
The pre/incubatees are assessed regularly and ones with good progress are promoted and graduated for incubation of the start-ups at AIC-SMUTBI. Further, upon successful progress, they are facilitated for registration as companies at SMIT or AIC (Atal Incubation Centre), SMIT campus.
- Shopping Nation
- Dasaka Greenery
- The Watchman
- Tinkering Lab-1
- Tinkering Lab-2
- Pre-Incubation center
- Innovation studio
CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE facilities:
- 5G to CoE
- Central Research Facility: Nanotechnology Laboratory
- Data Analytics CoE
National Innovation and Start-Up Policy (NISP):
The National Innovation and Startup Policy 2019 for students and faculty of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) will enable the institutes to actively engage students, faculties, and staff in innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities. This framework will also facilitate the Ministry of Human Resource Development in bringing uniformity across HEIs in terms of Intellectual Property ownership management, technology licensing, and institutional Startup policy, thus enabling the creation of robust innovation and Start up ecosystem across all HEIs
It is a facility where the innovative products developed by students and faculties finds a place for demonstration and display. It houses highly innovative and interesting projects and prototypes. Most of the projects and prototypes have been the outcome of the TMA Pai University Research Grant. It is also mandatory for the successfully completed projects under the grant to be housed and displayed in the studio.
WHAT IIC DOES ?
- Conduct national and International entrepreneurship and startup-related events and contests
- Encourage and promote entrepreneurship among college students and faculty through seminars and workshops
- Manage pre-incubation for startups from Sikkim Manipal University students, as well as outside the university
THE TEAM AT IIC :
The team comprises of highly motivated individuals, directly supervised by MoE's Innovation Cell (MIC), GoI
OBJECTIVE OF IIC:
- Institutions Innovation Council (IIC) at the institute is a unique model based on Hub-Spoke and coherence approach to align with the innovation and entrepreneurship promotion and support programs are being organized by various departments and ensures the year activities on the campus for effective engagement, learning, and practicing innovation and entrepreneurship among student and faculty community.
- Aims to create breakthrough, out-of-the-box solutions to major challenges of the present and the future, “addressing problems too big for any one organization to solve on its own”, such as devising alternative business models, or working toward solving large health, safety, and development problems.
CONTEXT - WHY IIC STARTED :
- The institution’s Innovation Council was established in 2018 as an initiative of the Ministry of Education (formerly MHRD), Govt. of India. Institution Innovation Council is a faculty-led but student-centric body formed by the institute with the active representation of entrepreneurial faculties, students, and expert’s representations from regional ecosystem enablers, preincubation, and incubation centers within and outside the institute and work in a synergy manner towards providing a platform to encourage, inspire and nurture young students by exposing them to new ideas and process of resulting in innovative activities & entrepreneurial in their formative years.
- The institution’s Innovation Council (IIC) has a representation of members from faculties, students, and experts from the regional ecosystem.
A Brief Overview of the Practice :
- IIC oversees various activities related to Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Start-Ups, and IPR. It primarily facilitates all these aspects at the Institute level. Also, is concerned for bringing about awareness and outreach to students and faculties in the said areas. It also makes efforts for outreach to local and nearby entrepreneurs.
- It is tasked with encouraging new ideas, executing them, and iterating until the idea is fully executed or integrated into the business. Those who work in the lab draw from cross-functional expertise and collaborate to create products and services, often for the parent company. The innovation lab may also conduct market research, or keep abreast of potential disruptors in the field. Often, it does a mixture of both.
WHY PRE-INCUBATION CENTER STARTED?
- Pre-Incubation centers help in the development of an economy as they primarily focus on providing a boost to entrepreneurial development which at the end also significantly contributes to an economy. Pre-incubation centers are necessary for the early growth and development of startups.
- It also serves as hubs for incubatees and business units that employ the methods of agile startups, with the goal of devising novel ideas that can either disrupt or complement the overall company. Creative processes like brainstorming and design thinking can drive ideation and the development of new innovations.
- The Pre/Incubation facility at SMIT is extended to the students and faculties of SMIT and outside. Also, local innovators are encouraged for incubating at the center.
LIST OF PRE INCUBATEES 2020-21