PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (BBA)
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (MBA)
"Department of Management Studies at a Glance"
The Department of Management Studies commenced in the year 2003. During these 17 years, the department has moved from strength to strength and today is a sought after destination for students aspiring to acquire a degree in Management at graduate as well as at post graduate level. The department offers three year BBA, two year quality MBA degree (with dual specialization in Marketing, Finance, Human Resource and Systems Management) and Doctoral Programme in Management. The courses offered by SMIT are approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The institute is also NAAC Accredited.
The aim of the department is to impart a holistic education to budding managers so that when they graduate they are not only industry and corporate ready but also life ready. The department has an excellent record of academics, research and placement.
MBA dual specialization
Note: Other than Marketing, second specialization will be offered subject to minimum strength of 10 students per specialization.
Recent Trends in Management
||India Trade with Neighboring Countries
||Social Media Marketing
||Performance Management Strategy
||Artificial Intelligence in HRM
- Being one of the oldest departments functioning since February, 2003 in the institute, it may presently accommodate more than 300 students.
- Highly motivated, experienced and qualified faculties consisting of techno-graduates and doctorates.
- Teachers represent a rich mix of academic disciplines, industry exposure and specialization.
- Teaching methodology is highly evolving.
- Exceptionally strong in different research domains.
- Adaptive curriculum design to facilitate students in pursuing higher education around the globe.
- Students’ assimilation from across the country and abroad.
- Strong emphasis on personality enhancement and skill development.
- Recurring industry-academia interface.
- Progressing placement record.
- Need-based course contents.
- MDPs, workshops, conferences, orientation programmes and symposia organized at frequent intervals.
- Extra-curricular activities for an all-round development.
- Guided internship projects.
- Provision for foreign internship.
ASSOCIATION AND COLLABORATIONS
- Associated with highly acclaimed institutions like IITs, IIFT, NIRD, NPC, MSME, NHPC, Torrent Pharma and Zydus Cadila.
- Editorial board member of reputed indexed journals.
- Invited speech and participation at various conventions in premier institutes abroad.
- Agreement of Co-operation with P&GBA, Seoul, South Korea.
- Human Resource
CONFERENCE/ WORKSHOP/ SEMINAR
- The Dept. of Management Studies organized an Alumni Talk for the students of BBA Sem VI and MBA Sem II on 1st May 2021. The Speaker (Alumnus) of eminence for the same was Ms. Sanjukta Chakravarty, Regional HR (Assam & Northeast), Muthoot Finance.
- 'Eminence 2021'-A First-ever Virtual Business Fest was conducted by Department of Management Studies on 22nd – 23rd of May 2021. Mr. Nitin Srivastav, Senior Banking Professional, London (U.K.) was the Chief Guest for the fest.
- The Department of Management Studies organized a Live Session on “Industry Expectation from Management Graduates” in association with ZenGages, affiliated to Atal Incubation Centre, SMUTBI on 9thApril, 2021. The speaker of repute for the same was Mr. Ravi Shankar Kumar, Founder-CEO, ZenGages, Bangalore.
- Dr. Bibeth Sharma, Dr. Jayarani Pandey and Dr. Subhadeep Mukherjee conducted a session on “Creativity and Innovation” - A Virtual Management Game for MBA students on 16th April, 2021.
- A Live Session on “Unleash your Financial Energy through Effective Planning” was organized by the Department of Management Studies in association with Institution’s Innovation Council (Ministry of Education Initiative) on 30th April, 2021. The speaker of eminence for the same was Dr. S. K. Shetty, Financial Advisor, Ideator and Founder-Capital Advisor from MSN Institute of Management, Karnataka.
- Department of Management Studies successfully hoisted the International Conference on Contemporary Issues in Business Management on 5th – 6th March 2021.
- Department of Management Studies conducted an Alumni interaction session with Management student on 20th March 2021. The speaker of eminence in this virtual session was Ms. Priyanka Dhar Joint Commissioner of Income Tax, OSD- Indian Revenue Service, Department-Income Tax, Govt. of India.
- Students of MBA and BBA Degree attended a “Financial Literacy Session” which was organized by Sikkim Manipal University on 5th Feb 2021. The Speakers of eminence in this session were Ms. Anusha Rathore and Ms. Mrin Agarwal.
- An “Investor Awareness Programme” in association with Xcelerating Minds, Mumbai and Bombay Stock Exchange was organized by Dept. of Management Studies for BBA 1st Sem students on 10th Feb 2021.
- An E-Symposium on “Lead Management and Sales Process” was organized by the Dept of Management Studies for MBA Final Year batch on 17th -18th Feb 2021. The speaker of eminence for the Symposium was Mr. Sanjoy Kumar Mullick.
- Dept. of Management Studies organized an E- Symposium on “Business Analytics: An Experiential Learning Session” in collaboration with GlobNet Systems, Kolkata for MBA Degree students via a Virtual Platform on 27th & 28th Jan, 2021. The speaker of eminence in the symposium was Mr. Mukul Basu (Head Academics- GlobNet)
- Dr. Bibeth Sharma successfully conducted a Business Quiz for MBA 1st Year Batch during 21st and 22ndDec, 2020.
- An Industry–Academia Connect Session on “Recent Trend in Agri-Business” was conducted by the Dept of Management Studies which was solicited through a virtual presence of Mr. Bhupal Neog, Deputy Manager-Agri Business, Amalgamated Plantations (A TATA Enterprise) on 28th November, 2020 for Final Year batches of BBA & MBA.
- Investor Awareness Programme-Spreading Awareness through Education- A Webinar was organized by Dept of Management Studies in association with NSE, Bombay for BBA 2nd year, BBA 3rd year and MBA 2nd year students on 14th October, 2020. Mr. Debaditya Chakraborti, IAS (Retd), Former Principal Secretary, Dept of Education, Personnel and Administrative Reform, Govt. of W.B. was the Resource Person for the event.
- Prof. (Dr.) Ajeya Jha was a resource person at Gracious College, Raipur for International E- Seminar on “Continuing Professional Development” on 17th – 19th August, 2020
- Prof. (Dr.) Ajeya Jha was a resource person at Sikkim University at the ICSSR Sponsored “Ten Days Online Research Methodology Course in Social Sciences” on 14th -- 23rd September, 2020
- Mrs. Ankhee Gupta, Stress Management Expert, Faculty PGD–Counseling, The University of Calcutta, Motivational Speaker-Premier Genie, Dubai, UAE graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled by Dept. of Management Studies from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Mr. Arunava Saha, Dy. National Head, ICV Vertical, Ashok Leyland graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled by Dept. of Management Studies from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Ms. Subhana Rahman, Branch Manager, Central Bank of India, Guwahati, an admired Alumni of the Department graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled by Dept. of Management Studies from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Mr. K. N. Saikia, a Speaker of Corporate Eminence, BDM- Max Life Insurance, APC, Guwahati graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled by Dept. of Management Studies from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Dept of Management Studies, SMIT organized a comprehensive online live session on “Paradigm Shift in Education System Post-Covid Era” in association with St. Xaviers College, Kolkata on 1st August, 2020. The speeches were given by Dr. Shivaji Banerjee, Former HOD-Management, Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration, St. Xaviers College, Kolkata and Dr. Bedanta Bora, HOD-Management Studies, SMIT. The session was aimed at the targeted participants.
- Lakshya Agarwal of BBA participated in State Taekwondo Championship organized by Bengal Taekwondo Association held at Jalpaiguri, West Bengal and won a silver medal.
- Pankaj Anand, Monu Agrawal, Kirty Adarsh and Gaurav Singh participated in SPIRIT, Sports Feast held at IIT Guwahati.
- Pankaj Anand of MBA won the 4th position for Table-Tennis.
- Monu Agarwal of BBA, won the Runners up Singles Event for Table Tennis.
- Meghan Pradhan, MBA student won the first prize for “The Best Manager” at “Commune’’.
- Faisal Rehman Khallow, BBA student won the first prize at “The short film making’’ competition held at Inter College Fest at SRM University, Gangtok.
- Roneet Pradhan and Zigmee Wangchuk Bhutia of BBA won the 1st position for Football Tournament.
- The team lead by Prawesh Rai of MBA won the Inter College Football Tournament.
- The team lead by Arifa Karim of MBA won the 1st Runners up for Inter dept. Basket Ball held in SMIT.
- Monu Agarwal of BBA won the Table Tennis Event.
- Syed Tausif Ali of BBA won the 1st position for Rangmanch.
- Pankaj Anand of MBA won the Table-Tennis Competition.
- Meghan Pradhan of MBA was the winner of the Painting Competition.
- Pemila Lama of MBA won the 1st Runners up for Fashion Show in KAALRAV.
- A Week Long Orientation Program for the students of Higher Semesters of Department of Management Studies was successfully organized from 3rd to 7th August, 2020.
- Capt. Chatterjee Sounak, a Speaker of International Eminence, NYK Ship Management, Singapore Pvt. Ltd., NYK Group, Singapore graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Mrs. Ankhee Gupta, Stress Management Expert, Faculty PGD–Counseling, The University of Calcutta, Motivational Speaker-Premier Genie, Dubai, UAE graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Mr. Arunava Saha, Dy. National Head, ICV Vertical, Ashok Leyland graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Ms. Subhana Rahman, Branch Manager, Central Bank of India, Guwahati, an admired Alumni of the Department graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- Mr. K. N. Saikia, a Speaker of Corporate Eminence, BDM- Max Life Insurance, APC, Guwahati graced a Virtual Orientation Programme which was scheduled from 14th to 30th September, 2020 for New Comers in BBA & MBA Programme.
- “Shaashtraarth- Congregation of Thought Leaders” was attended by students of MBA 3rd and BBA 3rd Semester on 7th and 14th October, 2020.
- An Alumni Interaction with Management Students was conducted on 27th February, 2021. The speaker of eminence was Mr. Subhechya Sen (Branch Head-Bandhan Bank)
- 50 Students from Department of Management Studies attended an Address given by the Chief Secretary, Govt. of Sikkim on “Youth & Changing Values” on 2nd September, 2019.
- MBA III Semester Students participated in Talk on Youth & Changing Values held at SMU on 2nd September, 2019 (Resource Person-Chief Secretary, Govt. of Sikkim).
- Field Trip to V-Guard Industries - An Academia - Industry Connect on 20th September, 2019 by MBA I Semester Students.
- 2nd Prize in ‘Bidding Wars’ was won by Management Students in SRM Business Fest held on 26th -27th September, 2019.
- 3 Research Papers were accepted for participation at MSRC held in Manipal University, Jaipur on 17th and 18th Oct, 2019.
- 3 Students have been nominated to participate in Regional Round of Essay Competition titled as “Non-Banking Finances in India- Regulatory Challenges and Concerns” (A RBI initiative) under the guidance of Mr. Abhisek Saha Roy.
- Outdoor Activity was organized at Army Camp, Bardang forStudents of BBA VI Semester (Batch 2017-20) on 14th January, 2020.
- Outdoor Activity was organized at Army Camp, Bardang for Students of BBA IV Semester (Batch 2018-21) on 15th January, 2020.
- Industrial Trip to Torrent Pharmaceuticals, Baghey Khola by Students of BBA II Semester (Batch 2019-22) on 17th January, 2020.
- A Live Budget Session was conducted by the Students for the Students on 01st February, 2020 which was facilitated by Mr. Abhisek Saha Roy.
- Prof. Praveen B.A, MAHE- BC briefed Students of Management on BFSI Sector and also conducted a workshop on 11th Feb, 2020.
- Ms. Sangita Saha, MBA IV Semester Student has completed four Online Courses in Coursera on “Research Report: Delivering Insights”, “Positioning: What you need for a successful Marketing Strategy”, “Marketing Mix Fundamentals” and “Market Research”.
- Mr. Tushar Dixit, BBA Final Year Student has completed 5 Online Courses in Coursera on ‘Preparing to Manage Human Resources’, ‘Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making’, ‘Management and Financial Accounting: Know Your Numbers 1’, ‘Financing and Investing in Infrastructure’, ‘Initiating and Planning Projects’.
- Orientation Programme & Plantation Drive followed by Alumni Speech was conducted on 6th August, 2019.
- Fresher’s Programme for MBA and BBA Aspirants was organized on 31st August, 2019.
- Management Business Fest- ‘ATHENA’ was successfully organized by the Department of Management Studies on 31st January and 1st February, 2020.
- ‘Management Dinner’ – An Informal Platform for Teacher- Students Connect, hosted at Marina by the Department of Management Studies, SMIT on 12th Feb, 2020.
- Students of BBA Final Year were accompanied by Faculty Members for an Alumina Interaction to Betel Valley Resort, East Sikkim on 13th February, 2020.
- Trekking activity was organized for students by Prof. (Dr.) Ajeya Jha.
- Students of Management Department organized Management Fest - ATHENA.
- Plantation programme was initiative by the Department of Management Studies. During the programme MBA & BBA students along with the faculty member planted more than 50 saplings in the campus.
- BBA students won the 1st position in football tournament in intra department competition.
- MBA students organized a "Social Talk on How to Feed the Stray Dogs". Experts from Gangtok were invited.