Programme Educational Objectives (M.Sc. Mathematics)
Department of Mathematics at a Glance
Department of Mathematics started functioning with strength of two faculty members since the inception of the University with the approval of UGC, in 1997. Initially, the main objective of the department was to cater to the needs of different engineering departments. Gradually, it started growing and became a potential basic science department supported by well-qualified faculty members with distinguished educational background from leading Indian institutes and universities, who are instrumental in building a strong base in different areas of higher mathematics. Since the year 2003, the department has started its MSc program in Mathematics with a sanctioned strength of 20 students. Students will get a chance to come across some advance topics of research followed by the independent project.
Department has one advanced computer lab with Internet facility. Students can develop their programming skill by practicing in various software viz. C++, Python, MATLAB etc. in the computer lab. Students have to carry out an individual research project in second year as a part of the curriculum which opens various contemporary areas of research. One of our students received Marie Curie Fellowship in 2009 for admission into the PhD program in the University of Paris just after passing M.Sc. course from SMIT.
Presently, the department has strength of 13 faculty members, actively associated in research work in different fields of pure and applied mathematics, which provides a perfect platform to the nascent engineers and mathematicians to enhance their knowledge in the fields of Mathematics. Faculties have numerous publications in the reputed journals and conference proceedings. Department organizes conferences/ workshops sponsored by various funding agencies like DST, AICTE, UGC etc. to promote the research environment among the students and faculty members. Faculty members are engaged in the research on current trends of Mathematics like: Industrial Fluid Dynamics, Thin Films, Nonlinear Waves, Wavelet analysis, Signal Processing, Fuzzy Topology, Graph Theory, Complex Analysis, Stochastic Process, Nonlinear Dynamics, Plasma Dynamics, Bifurcation Analysis etc.
- Department has 17 research scholars
- 7+ research scholars are receiving fellowship for Ph.D. programme sponsored by Dr. Ramdas Pai and Mrs. Vasanthi Pai Endowment fund.
- 2015 onwards number of publications: 135+
- One student received Marie curie Fellowship in 2009 for admission into the Ph. D. program of the University of Paris.
- ]One Sponsored Research project (completed) from DST, Govt. of India.
- Organized National and International conferences/Workshop/Seminar by the department regularly.
- Top 2% Most Influential Scientists by Stanford University (2020): Dr. Asit Saha
- Incubation at AIC, SMUTBI: Gladiolus Language Nectar (CEO Prof. Archit Yajnik)
- Average Teaching Experience: 14+
- Department is approved by UGC and certified by ISO 9001.
- University of Kalyani
- Visva-Bharati University, Santiniketan
- Sikkim Govt. College, Sikkim
- Sikkim University
- Yalova University, Turkey
- Kazi Nazrul University, Asansol
- East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Coochbehar Panchanan Barma University, Coochbehar
- Manipal University Jaipur
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Spain
- ISI Kolkata
- NIT Durgapur
- NIT Arunachala
- Gour Banga University, Malda
- First National Conference on Applied Mathematical Science (1st NCAMS-2011), 11th-13th March 2011.
- International Conference on Nonlinear Dynamics and Applications (ICNDA 2022), 9th – 11th March’ 2022. (Funded by SERB).
- \Invited talk by Dr. A. Gowrisankar on “Fractals: Frontier of Euclidean Geometry”, 6th August 2022.
- Industrial Fluid Dynamics
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Thin Films
- Nonlinear Waves
- Wavelet analysis
- Signal Processing
- Fuzzy Topology
- Graph Theory
- Complex Analysis
- Stochastic Process
- Nonlinear Dynamics
- Plasma Dynamics
- Bifurcation Analysis
- Representation Theory
- Algebraic Graph Theory
- Linear Algebra
- Computational Linguistics
- Mathematical Finance
- Topological Graph Theory
Number of Sponsored Projects till Date:
- DST funded project "Study and develop Natural Language Parser for Nepali language" bearing ref no SR/CSRI/28/2015 of Rs. 17.80 Lakhs.
Publications by the students & faculties (2015 onwards):
- International & National Journal: 120+
- International & National Conference: 15+
- Books Published: 02
- Edited Volumes: 02