Department of Mathematics started functioning with strength of two faculty members since the inception of the University with the approval of UGC, in 1997. Initially, the main objective of the department was to cater to the needs of different engineering departments. Gradually, it started growing and became a potential basic science department supported by well-qualified faculty members with distinguished educational background from leading Indian institutes and universities, who are instrumental in building a strong base in different areas of higher mathematics. Since the year 2003, the department has started its MSc program in Mathematics with a sanctioned strength of 20 students. Students will get a chance to come across some advance topics of research followed by the independent project.
Department has one advanced computer lab with Internet facility. Students can develop their programming skill by practicing in various software viz. C/C++, FORTRAN, Mat lab, MAPPLE in the computer lab. Students have to carry out an individual research project in second year as a part of the curriculum which opens various contemporary areas of research. One of our students received Marie Curie Fellowship in 2009 for admission into the PhD program in the University of Paris just after passing M.Sc. course from SMIT.
Presently, the department has strength of about 16 faculty members, actively associated in research work in different fields of pure and applied mathematics, which provides a perfect platform to the nascent engineers and mathematicians to enhance their knowledge in the fields of Mathematics. Faculties have numerous publications in the reputed journals and conference proceedings. Department organizes conferences/ workshops sponsored by various funding agencies like DST, AICTE, UGC etc to promote the research environment among the students and faculty members. Faculty members are engaged in the research on current trends of Mathematics like: Industrial Fluid Dynamics, Thin Films, Nonlinear Waves, Wavelet analysis, Signal Processing, Fuzzy Logic, Graph Theory, Complex Analysis, Stochastic Process, Bifurcation Analysis etc.
DST funded project "Study and develop Natural Language Parser for Nepali language" bearing ref no SR/CSRI/28/2015 of Rs. 15.80 Lakhs.
Students who are keen to establish themselves in the field of research and teaching are encouraged to avail these facilities. [Click here]
PROGRAM OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT
- MSc: Eligibility criteria is BSc with Mathematics as one of the subject
- PhD: Eligibility criteria is Candidate with Post Graduate degree with Mathematics as one of the subjects at PG and UG level.
- Established in 1997 along with the institute, the department has moved forward with opening of M.Sc. & Ph.D. programmes from 2003.
- One ongoing Sponsored Research project from DST, Govt. of India.
- Organized National and International conferences/Workshop/Seminar by the department regularly.
- Well prepared computational laboratory.
- Department is approved by UGC and certified by ISO 9001.
- One student received Marie curie Fellowship in 2009 for admission into the Ph. D. program of the University of Paris.
- One student has been receiving JRF for Ph.D. programme sponsored by Dr. Ramdas Pai and Mrs. Vasanthi Pai Endowment fund.
- University of Kalyani
- Vidyasagar University
- West Bengal State University, Barasat
- Calcutta University
- Bashkir State Pedagogical University, Ufa, Russia
- Visva-Bharati University, Santiniketan
- IIT Guwahati
- Sikkim Govt. College, Sikkim
- Sikkim University
- Yalova University, Turkey
- University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Kazi Nazrul University, Asansol
- B.B. College, Asansol
- East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Bankura Christian College, Bankura
- Thin Liquid Film
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Hydrodynamic Stability
- Spectral Graph Theory
- Theoretical Computer Science
- Complex Analysis
- Fuzzy Topology
- Wavelet Transform
- Functional Analysis
- Nonlinear Dynamics
- Plasma Dynamics
- Waves and Oscillations
- Bifurcation Theory & its Applications
- Stochastic Processes and Modelling
- Operation Research
- Control Theory