The M.Tech program in Structural Engineering at The Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology helps engineers study in detail various structures such as architectural structures (buildings, houses, factories), civil infrastructures (dams, bridges, pipelines) and aerospace, mechanical ,naval structures (cars, ships, aeroplanes) under various environmental constraints.
- To develop young Civil Engineering professionals with an active and creative mind who can contribute to building the society and the nation.
- To develop the department as the best resource house for efficient and updated learning experience of students.
- To establish a national level department of excellence.
- To impart value education, quality training and provide hands on learning experience.
- To promote efficient professionals with excellent knowledge and skills in Civil Engineering.
Program Educational Objectives (M. Tech in Structural Engineering)
- To empower students with skills and employability to solve real life problems.
- To sensitize students towards social issues and to introduce them to professional ethics and practices.
- To enhance technical skills and enthusiasm among students to carry out higher studies and research.
- To develop human potential to its fullest extent so that intellectually capable and imaginatively gifted leaders and entrepreneurs can emerge.
PROGRAM OUTCOME (PO)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOME (PSO)
- Inculcating technical competencies in students to deal with real world Civil Engineering problems.
- Building competence and confidence in students to emerge as Civil Engineering expert and entrepreneur.
COURSE OUTCOME, PROGRAM OUTCOME AND COURSE SYLLABUS
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering/ Construction Technology with a minimum of 50% for general and 45% marks for SC/ST/OBC candidates or equivalent CGPA.
(One of the following entrance tests):
(i) Screening Test conducted at SMIT by the concerned Department
a) While preparing the merit, 50% weightage is given to aggregate marks obtained in BE/B Tech and 50% weightage for marks obtained in screening test.
b) For online application visit our website www.applysmit.in.
(ii) GATE Examination
Four seats are reserved for Sikkim Government nominees. Candidates seeking admission under this category should contact Director - Technical Education, HRDD, Government of Sikkim.