The M.Tech program in Structural Engineering at The Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology helps engineers study in detail various structures such as architectural structures (buildings, houses, factories), civil infrastructures (dams, bridges, pipelines) and aerospace, mechanical ,naval structures (cars, ships, aeroplanes) under various environmental constraints.
PROGRAM OUTCOME (PO)
- The graduate is capable of applying the core and multidisciplinary knowledge for understanding the problems in structural engineering and allied fields.
- The graduates will possess critical thinking skills, problem solving abilities, and familiarity with the computational procedures essential to the field.
- The graduate is able to formulate, analyse, design and execute the construction of various types of engineering structures with appropriate consideration for public health and safety and cultural, societal and environmental conditions.
- Use research based knowledge and research methods to conduct experiments and to analyze and interpret experimental data.
- The student gets hands on training on various structural analysis and project management software’s.
- Apply reasoning informed by the appropriate knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to structural engineering practice.
- As the students possess substantial knowledge in multidisciplinary areas, one is able to plan the various projects well, keeping in view its environmental effects on other related fields.
- Apply ethical principles and commitment to professional responsibilities.
- Capable of working productively as individual, as member or leader in driver set teams and in multi- disciplinary settings.
- The student achieves excellence in expressing his ideas, writing technical reports with great communication skills and managerial skills.
- Student will maintain an awareness of contemporary issues and recognize the need for and engage in life-long learning to update with or develop technologies to meet the growing and changing needs of society.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOME (PSO)
- Take advantage of a strong technical education at the postgraduate level to embark on successful professional careers in industry or to continue with a graduate education in their area of specialization.
- To provide proficiency in the basic principles and advanced courses of technology in Structural Engineering so that students are able to formulate, analyse and solve the societal problems for sustainable development related to structural Engineering.
- Consistently and successfully apply fundamental Structural Engineering principles within their chosen engineering application area (such as Aerospace, Civil, Marine, and Mechanical).
- Apply broad multi-disciplinary skills necessary to accomplish professional objectives in a rapidly changing technological world.
- To produce Structural Engineers who integrate and build on the program's core curricular concepts in the pursuit of professional leadership, teamwork, life-long learning, and successful career advancement
- Understand the ethical issues pertaining to engineering, adopt industry standards of ethical behaviour, and apply appropriate communication and collaboration skills essential for professional practice.
- To expose the students to the latest innovations and trends with a view to inculcate strong research orientation in structural engineering as well as in multidisciplinary streams.
COURSE OUTCOME, PROGRAM OUTCOME AND COURSE SYLLABUS
BE / BTech or equivalent in appropriate branch with 55% marks or equivalent.
(one of the following entrance tests):
(i) GATE Examination
(ii) Screening Test conducted at SMIT by the concerned Department
While preparing the merit, 50% weightage is given to aggregate marks obtained in BE/B Tech and 50% weightage for marks obtained in screening test.
Along with the application form, candidates need to send fee for entrance test as given in Section 9, Subsection 1.2, para 21 (iii). Please visit our website www.smu.edu.in
(iii) Candidates through Entrance Examination conducted by Manipal University, Manipal.
Four seats are reserved for Sikkim Government nominees. Candidates seeking admission under this category should contact Director - Technical Education, HRDD, Government of Sikkim.
Teaching assistantships are awarded to deserving regular candidates enrolled in the M Tech Courses.