Established in 1997 with approval for running four Year B.Tech Courses, SMIT has grown into an Institute providing multiple programs-B.Tech. in 08 branches, M.Tech. in 06 branches, BCA & MCA, BBA & MBA, M.Sc. in Basic Sciences & Ph.D. in Management, Science and Technology. Presently the total annual student intake stands at 1200.
- SMIT has been selected as one of the prestigious Atal Incubation Centre funded (Grant of Rs 8 Crores) by NITI Ayog, GoI. The incubation centre has key thrust areas in Technology, Market Affiliate, Biotechnology, ICT etc. The incubation center plans to incubate atleast 100 incubatee companies in the next 5 years and nurture them to be successful business models. The incubator also has a large and very experienced group of mentor board.
- SMIT has a consistent placement record of over 90% in the last three years. The highest package offered was Rs 22 Lakhs PA by Microsoft.
- SMIT has successfully completed 52 sponsored projects worth Rs. 15.40 crores. Our sponsors are AICTE, DST, DBT, DIETY, DRDO and ISRO and many other Govt. organizations.
- SMIT offers Centre of Excellence in “5G Internet of Things (IOT)”, “Healthcare Data Analytics” and “Graphene Back Surface Field Based Low Cost Silicon Nanowire Solar Cells” and “Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems (RS-GIS)”.
- One radar indigenously designed at SMIT has been successfully installed at DRDO, Hyderabad.
- Supercomputing facility – High Performance Computing facility “PARAM SHAVAK” has been installed at SMIT in collaboration with C-DAC, Pune.
- There are 600 and more research publications in peer reviewed international journals, 36 and more national journal publications, 225 international and 70 national conference publications.
- Two patents filed and one student patent (Ref. No: E-2/149/2017-KOL) titled “An Automated Bicycle with Artificial Intelligence” has been granted.
- Three Start-ups by students have been registered under Government of India. One of the Start-Up “After Glow Pvt. Ltd.” has been selected amongst the winners of Elevate 100 by Government of Karnataka in August 2017.
- SMU has granted Rs.83.0 Lakhs under Dr. Ramdas Pai and Mrs. Vasanthi Pai Endowment Fund to SMIT during 2016-17. The same amount is approved for 2017-18.
- SMIT has emerged as one of the Top Private Engineering College and is placed at the 12th position in "Top Private Engineering Colleges(All India)", 2nd position in "Top Private Colleges (East Zone)"and secured 7th position in "Top Private Engineering Colleges Offering Best Annual Average Salary" in India Today rankings -2018.
- NIRF Ranking : Sikkim Manipal University of which SMIT is a constituent college is ranked in the band 101-150 under the University category and in the band 151-200 under the Overall category by MHRD, National Institute Ranking Framework.
- A Centre for Excellence in Remote Sensing & GIS has been established in Institute with the support of ISRO.
- Institute has also been awarded the prestigious ISO 9001:2008 certification and the same has been certified under Norsk Akkreditering, Norway.
- After the establishment of International Collaboration Cell, SMIT in 2017 two students from ME Dept. have completed their internship from Belarus and Turkey and SMIT is currently hosting two foreign students through the Student Exchange Program
- A 3 day workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning was successfully conducted by Alumni Engagement Cell in which the resource person was Mr. Jaskirat Singh, an alumni of ECE Department, 2009 batch.