The Master of Computer Application program at The Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology is aimed at providing students with academic skills, logic and reasoning ability for their overall development to help them get jobs in the public and private sectors and the software industry.
The course is approved by AICTE and is accreditated by NS-EN ISO 9001:2000.
It is a 3 years and 2 years lateral entry course and has 45 seats available. The course is offered by SMIT in the Majitar campus.
Program Outcome (PO)
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics to solutions of problems associated to the discipline.
- An ability to have knowledge, skills and expertise in at least one procedural and one object oriented programming language.
- An ability to analyze a problem, formulate and implement solutions based on computer related concept, practices and computer application point of view.
- An ability to visualize and solve problems using appropriate structures and constraints with the notions of software development strategy and standards.
- An ability to design and implement database solutions using available technologies.
- An understanding of design and working principles of the computer hardware and the computer as a machine.
- An ability to work effectively as an individual as well as a member of a team and provide technical and visionary leadership to others.
- An ability to apply ethical and legal principles of computer application practices and an awareness of social issues and responsibilities.
- Will be able to understand the influence of computer application solutions to society and environment.
- Ability to analyze and compare algorithms.
- Ability to understand, troubleshoot and design computer networks.
- In-hand Skills, expertise and Knowledge on basic operating systems, design concepts and specializing on at least one popular operating system, and notions of generic system programming.
- Concepts and notions on Advanced Computing techniques like Data Mining, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Bio-informatics, Digital Image Processing, Geographical Information System and other recent trends in advanced computing.
- An exposure to live industry, development, technology support, research environment.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with capability to understand contemporary issues and provide solutions for solving social problems.
- Acquired skills and ability for life-long learning for continuing professional development and ability to learn and use modern tools and techniques for computing practice.
Program Specific Outcome (PSO)
- Our Computer Application students will have sufficient understanding of the fundamentals of computer science to establish themselves as computer and IT professionals in the IT and IT Enabled Service industry.
- Our Computer Application students will be equipped with analytical and critical skills for a continued life-long learning, teaching and research and will be prepared to be accepted to complete advanced degree programs such as M. Tech/M.S./M.Phil./Ph.D.
- Our Computer Application students will be able to be appropriate their knowledge and skills to succeed in their career, professional development and will be able to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Our Computer Application students will have good communication skill, teamwork, awareness of professional ethics and social issues to enable them to contribute effectively in their professional career and societal development.
- Our Computer Application students will make valuable technical contributions to design, development, production and maintenance of computer systems and in related technical or application areas, and at the interface of computers and physical systems.
- The students will apply basic principles and practices of computing grounded in applicative areas of computer science and applications to successfully complete software related projects to meet customer business objectives.
- The Computer Application students are prepared for employment in a wide spectrum industrial and business environments and successful professionals in the field with a solid foundation in computer applications and the knowledge of culture and vocabulary of technology to work with peoples from other disciplines.
Course Outcome, Program Outcome and Syllabus
- Application Programmer
- Software Developer
- System Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Information Security Executive
- Data Centre Technician
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Data Centre Manager
- IT Faculty