The Department of Civil Engineering at SMIT was established in 2009 and offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech Civil Engineering). The Department has well established state-of-the-art, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Survey, Geology, and Environment & Fluid Mechanics Laboratories covering all aspects of Civil Engineering undergraduate courses at par with best Civil Engineering Universities. Students of the Department are being exposed to the latest advancements in design & construction technologies with sufficient field exposures commensurate with Civil Engineering course requirements.
- To develop the department as the best resource house for efficient and updated learning experience of students.
- To promote efficient professionals with excellent knowledge and skills in Civil Engineering.
- To impart value education, quality training and to provide hands on learning experience.
- To develop young civil engineering professionals with active and creative mind who can contribute to the building of the society and nation.
- To establish a national level department of excellence.
- To enhance Industry-Institute interactions through collaborative projects.
- To establish professional collaboration in academics and research with universities and research institutes of international repute.
|PEO (BTech in Civil Engineering)
- To empower students with skills and employability to solve real life problems.
- To sensitize students towards social issues and to introduce them to professional ethics and practices.
- To enhance technical skills and enthusiasm among students to carry out higher studies and research.
- To develop human potential to its fullest extent so that intellectually capable and imaginatively gifted leaders and entrepreneurs can emerge.
|B.Tech Minor Specialization
|Natural Hazard and Disaster Management
|| Earthquake Resistant Structures
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (PO)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSO)
- Inculcating in students', technical competencies to deal with real world Civil Engineering.
- Building competence and confidence in students to emerge as Civil Engineering entrepreneur.
COURSE OUTCOME, PROGRAM OUTCOME AND COURSE SYLLABUS
The graduates in Civil Engineering degree play a vital role in fulfilling the societal infra-structural needs and demand. With India being a developing country and one of the fastest growing economies has created wide scope for Civil Engineers.
The Civil Engineering degree course focuses on planning and designing of industrial and residential buildings, hydraulic structure, water supply and sanitation systems and transportation infrastructure.
After the successful completion of course graduates have wide opportunities to work in private and public sectors and industries (L&T, Gammon India, GMR, HCC, ACC, Ultratech, Ambuja, NHPC, NTPC, NHAI etc…). Graduates also have scope for pursuing higher studies and/or research.
- B.Tech. - 10+2/Equivalent with 45% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- B.Tech.[L.E.] - Candidate with a diploma in the appropriate branch of engineering awarded by a State Board of Technical Education, and with at least 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC) in aggregate in diploma is also eligible for admission to B Tech Curriculum.
a) General Category, Defence, North East, Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) and Paramilitary Force Categories:
- The candidates will have to appear for the JEE to be conducted by the CBSE.
- Cut-off JEE Main Score in All India JEE applicable to all reserved categories will be displayed on our website www.smu.edu.in.
b) Sikkim Category:
- Candidates should apply to the Director, Technical Education, HRDD and Government of Sikkim. They should appear in the entrance test conducted by the Government, the details of which will be notified by the Director, HRDD, Technical Education.
c) SMIT Online Test:
- Candidates seeking admission under this category will have to appear for online test conducted by SMU.