The Department of Paediatrics at SMIMS was established in 2000 and it offers MBBS and MD degree.
The centre for advanced learning and health care for children, being one of the tertiary care hospitals serving the population of the state of Sikkim, both undergraduate and postgraduate training are held by experienced teachers.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit being the only Level 2 NICU for the state of Sikkim armed with the latest of technology provides excellent care to the new-borns.
- Paediatric ICU providing intensive care to children being the only ICU for children in the state of Sikkim.
- State-of-the art care for today’s children to make their tomorrow better.
- State-of-the-art technology for procedures and betterment of child health.
- Super speciality included Neurosurgery, Cardiothoracic surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Cardiology and Nephrology that converge in better child health.
- Staff- teaching/ non-teaching
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
- Only state of the art NICU serving the entire state of sikkim beside with Pediatric Intensive care facilities.
- Latest Vaccination Schedule with availability of all optional vaccines.
- Only hospital with round the clock Quality emergency care for children in the state of Sikkim.
- Special Clinics throughout the week which include Child guidance clinic, Well Baby Clinic, Asthma Clinic, Anemia clinic and Follow up of High risk Neonates
- Community services like Urban health centre and special camps throughout the year to reach distant schools/villages that do not have access to easy health care facility.
- Main referral center for child health for the entire state of Sikkim serving both far and near places.
- Involved in monthly training for nurses/doctors in attending deliveries under the National Resuscitation Program (IAP NRP FGM).
- Initiates in organising workshop/CME in Paediatrics.
- Only NICU serving the entire state of Sikkim.
- NICU admissions for the year 2013 were 640 and it has crossed this figure this year.
- OPD and Hospital admission for the year 2014 is more than 11000 and more than 1800 respectively.
- Department of Pediatrics is run by 16 trained doctors.
- Only Tertiary hospital with Pediatric support to Pediatric Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urosurgery and Cardiothoracic and Vascular surgery.
- Bed strength of 30 pediatrics beds,10 bedded NICU,4 Bedded PICU with state of the art infrastructure.