The Department of Orthopaedics at SMIMS was established in 2001 and it involves the study of musculoskeletal system.
Orthopedic surgeons use both surgical and nonsurgical means to treat musculoskeletal trauma, sports injuries, degenerative diseases, infections, tumors and congenital disorders, or the art of correcting and preventing deformities in children. The correction of spinal and bony deformities became the cornerstone of orthopedic practice.
The department works in close collaboration with other departments and specialists.
- Rehabilitation Services
- Pain clinics
- Specialists affiliated with Medicine, Radiology, Surgery and Anesthesia
- Department covers 24 hours trauma , Emergency care
- manages all types of Musculoskeletal injuries including Spine,
- Conducting emergency operations on needy patients around the clock
- Provides expertise in handling of polytrauma cases
- Facilities for Limb reconstruction and joint replacement
- Facilities for deformity correction and treatment for chronic osteomyelitis with ILIZAROV technique.
- Facilities for Spine surgeries
- Regular teaching classes and clinical training for undergraduates both at outpatient and bedside.
- Patient care: that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of health.
- Medical knowledge: about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and cognate sciences, as well as the application of this knowledge to patient care.
- Practice-based learning and improvement: that involves the investigation and evaluation of care for their patients, the appraisal and assimilation of scientific evidence, and improvements in patient care.
- Interpersonal and communication professionalism.
- Systems-based practice.
- Branch of medicine deals with musculoskeletal system, Spine, joints, muscles and Tendons. Recent years there are few sub specialization in this dept. like Arthroscopic and joint replacement surgery, Spine surgery, Hand surgery, Musculoskeletal Tumors and General Trauma surgery.
- General Trauma surgeries done on emergency and as elective basis
- Facility for Joint replacement in Knee, Hip, Shoulder and Elbow
- Spine surgery both traumatic and degenerative spine cases
- Ilizarov surgery for complicated traumatic and infective cases of bone and soft tissue.
- Back ache Clinic
- Fracture Clinic
- CTEV Clinic