The Department of Anatomy at SMIMS was established in 1995 and deals with the study of Morphology of the human body.
The department has well-experienced teaching and non-teaching staff. It has an illustrious museum, well-equipped dissection hall, histology lab and a research lab. Small group teaching is emphasised.
The Department of Anatomy deals with the study of Morphology of the Human body. To be a good doctor one must understand the founts of anatomy (structure) and physiology (function). Functional necessity is the cause of structural innovation. To understand the function one must understand the structure well. However this study of basic science does not end at the first MBBS level itself and it goes on and on.
- Well-equipped dissection hall and histology lab.
- The department conducts integrated seminars for students in collaboration with other departments.
- Adequate number of Teaching faculty
- Students are encouraged to think laterally.
- Department is well equipped with teaching and nonteaching staff. It has illustrious museum, big dissection hall, histology lab and a research lab. Small group teaching is emphasized. More interactive lectures and students participation is encouraged.
- Hands on experience of Human cadaveric dissection
- Hands on experience of Human cadaveric foetal dissection
- Normal Microscopic study of tissues
- Well qualified, learned and dedicated faculties.
- 1 dissection lab,
- 1 Histology lab
- 1 Research lab
- 1 Anatomy museum - It has adequate number of specimens ,charts and models which are informative and are used for teaching purpose
The department of Anatomy is well equipped with Dissection hall, Histology lab, Bone bank, Anatomy museum and a Department Library.
- The department of Anatomy has a wonderful Anatomy museum comprising of around 100 beautifully dissected specimens of various regions of the Human body. A museum catalogue is maintained which guides the students to study the specimens. The museum has a osteology and embryology section. The museum also has a radiology section where X rays are displayed. There are various illustrative charts. There are certain charts which depict the History of Anatomy.
- Small group teaching is emphasized for dissection and histology practical
- The Dissection hall is well ventilated and has bright light. It has the accommodation capacity of 150 students. 10 students can dissect one formalin preserved cadaver. This gives them a hands on experience of dissection and learn the Human Anatomy by means of dissection and verify the facts by themselves. Dissection is performed under the guidance of table teachers.
- The histology lab is well equipped with slides and microscopes. There are around 70 tissues and 700 slides in the slide bank. A set of two students is given a set of slides and a microscope to study the slides. The student is guided by the table teacher in this task.
- The department has a bone bank with adequate number of bones. The bones are issued to the individual students at the time of dissection for study purpose.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Study of Umbilical arteries in Ecclampsia - Mrs Karma Lakhi, Dr. Binod Kumar Tamang
- Dermatoglyphics in Diabetes. – Mrs Anju Bala, Dr. Binod Kumar Tamang
- Study of Bramhi on Neuronal activity. – Mr. Rohit Sarda, Dr Amlan Gupta
- Perfusion of Interventricular Septum - Dr. Polly Lama, Dr. Jyoti Kulkarni
- Secular Trend in the Cephalometric Characters of the Meitei Males of Manipur valley – Ms. Bedita Devi, Dr. Binod Kumar Tamang
- Morphometry of Trachea in adult & Fetus - Dr. Binod Kumar Tamang
- Histochemistry of Intervertebral Disc - Mrs Jerina Tiwari, Dr. Polly Lama, Dr. Jyoti Kulkarni
- Morphometry of Paranasal air sinuses in Sikkimese population – Dr. Pranoti Sinha, Dr. Jyoti Kulkarni