The Master in hospital Administration (MHA) programme of SMU had started during the academic year 2008-09 under the skill development courses. The demand for MHA courses has increased tremendously, with the increase in number of healthcare organizations in health sector and even now the SMU remains to be the only one university in the state of Sikkim offering this course.
The MHA course is of two years duration (spread into four semesters) with combination of theory and practical. Students attend the internship/on the job training for 16 weeks in selected hospitals anywhere in India/abroad as interns after the 3rd semester.
The MHA Department is attached with 500 bedded Central Referral Hospital (CRH) that enables the students to acquire practical and clinical skills in Hospital Administration.
The maximum annual intake of students in the course is 15.
- Attached to the 500 bedded super specialities Central Referral Hospital, which gives real exposure of hospital intricacies.
- Good Track Record of Placements in Giant Corporate players including Manipal Hospitals, Max Hospitals etc.
- Learning Method focuses on “Participatory Style” which motivates students for clearing their doubts without any fear.
- Students are sent for Internship to the reputed hospitals of the country, including AIIMS, AFMC , Columbia Asia Hospitals , Manipal Hospitals etc.
- Library facilities are best in class and are upgraded every year.
- Course Curriculum includes visits to various other hospitals apart from Central Referral hospital, including government hospitals and hospitals at primary level.
- Dissertation Topics assigned focuses on recent problems prevalent at the functional level of a hospital.
- Students are allowed to participate in all the Conferences, Seminars & Workshops conducted at SMU.
- Sikkim Students are privileged with scholarships for this course from the state government.
Students are actively involved in administrative activities of the hospital.
- Operations Management
- Quality Assurance
- Healthcare Marketing
- Facility Management