B. Tech. - Information Technology
Department of Information Technology offers B.Tech programmes in Information Technology. The department is also very active in research and development activities in cutting edge technologies. Graduated students are well placed in reputed industries as well as academia. Being well equipped with latest infrastructure, this department conducts research in areas like Computer Networks, Distributed Systems, Data mining etc.
|Course conducted by||Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT)|
|Campus||Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Majitar|
|Accreditated by||National Board of Accreditation (NBA)|
|Accreditated by||NS-EN ISO 9001:2000|
|Commencement of First Semester||August 1, 2014|
|Course duration||4 Yrs|
|Number of Seats||90|
|Last Date of Application||JEE Aspirants & SMIT Offline 23 May 2014|
- All candidates must have passed (10+2) or equivalent with Physics (P) & Mathematics (M) as compulsory subjects and Chemistry or Computer Sciences or Biotechnology or Biology, as one of the optional subjects. They must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in these subjects to be considered for selection (45% for SC/ST/OBC).
- A candidate with a diploma in the appropriate branch of engineering awarded by a State Board of Technical Education, and with at least 50% in aggregate in diploma is also eligible for admission to the first year of B Tech (45% for SC/ST/OBC) through entrance examination.
- A candidate will have to appear for an entrance examination (MU-OET / AIEEE) depending upon the category under which they are seeking admission.
Candidates will have to appear for one of the entrance examinations depending upon the category under which they are seeking admission as mentioned in the table in Admission Process section. The details of these examinations are given in the succeeding paragraphs.
Sikkim: Candidates seeking admission through Sikkim category need to apply directly to the Director -Technical Education, Education Department, Government of Sikkim.
- Certificate from Commanding Officer indicating the place of posting.
- Copy of transfer order to Sikkim, where applicable.
- Discharge Certificates/Retired Identity card/Pension Pay Order for retired personnel.
- Certificate from Head of the Office indicating the place of posting.
- Copy of transfer order to Sikkim, where applicable.
- Discharge Certificates /Pension Order for retired personnel.
- In case the number of applicants for the seats in a reserved category is less than the seats earmarked for that particular category, the vacant seats will be added to the General Category.
- Candidates are required to retain a scratchcard & a photocopy of the application form with them.
Change of Branch
Students are allotted the branch of engineering at the time of admission to the first year (1st semester) B Tech course on the basis of merit and preference. The allotment so made shall ordinarily be final. However, before the commencement of III semester, change of branch will be considered on the basis of their performance in I and II semester examinations, subject to availability of seats.
Transfer of Students from Other Universities
Admission of students from other universities may be permitted under certain eligibility conditions and subject to availability of seats in the second years of engineering (Third semester). Such admission shall be made at the beginning of the academic year within a maximum period of thirty days after the commencement of the semester. A candidate seeking transfer from another university should have cleared all subjects of the previous year/semester prescribed by the parent university, and should produce the original marks card and a certificate to that effect from that university. They should also produce the NOC from the previous institute.
Lateral Entry to Second year Engineering
Candidates can directly apply for the direct entry to second year of Bachelor of Technology programme fulfilling the following criteria:
- Three years' diploma in appropriate branch of Engineering with minimum 60% marks in aggregate. However, a relaxation of 5% may be considered for SC/ST/OBC.
- Three years' B.Sc degree with Mathematics as one of the subjects, with minimum 60% marks in aggregate. However, a relaxation of 5% may be considered for SC/ST/OBC Candidates.
Candidates are advised to contact the admission office during the last week of June or visit the website.
Infrastructure / Facilities
Accommodation: The institute is fully residential with separate hostels for boys and girls, and provides excellent accommodation to over 2500 students. The hostel rooms are two-seaters, well furnished, and have attached bathrooms with hot water supply. There is a students' mess and a canteen providing vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals. Recreation rooms with TVs, separate gymnasiums for boys and girls and sports facilities are available. Telephone facilities are available in each hostel. It is mandatory for all students to stay in the SMIT Hostel.
- Extension Counter of Union Bank of India.
- ATM of UTI & UBI Bank
- Post Office.
- Telephone Exchange.
- Stationery Shop.
- Binding, Lamination, Xerox Shop and PCO.
- Blue Dart & DTDC courier service.
Industry Orientation / Projects & Placements
Students pursue project training in many premier industrial/research establishments such as: TCS, Tata Technologies, HCL, Titan Industries, BARC, WEBEL Mediatronics, Skytech Solutions, CATS, Cognizant Technologies, Steaslit Industries, Reliance Telecom, Telco, NHPC, ISRO, Manipal Infocom, ISI, Reliance Infocom, Bharti Telecom, ECE Elevators, Carrier Air Conditioners and HCL Infinet, E- Revmax and Lakhotia Enterprises, Greaves, Acer, MEMG, Manipal Infocom, SNIP, VECC, Jadavpur / Calcutta University among others. Some of the above have started giving stipend during the training period.
Training & Placement
Training & Placement department is the hub of all interaction between the corporate, industries, and Academic/Research Institutions, with Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT). The department functions with the following objectives
- To provide in-plant Training to students to supplement their curriculum.
- To arrange the final semester industrial projects to work on live problems (Practice Schools).
- To bring Industrial establishments to the campus for recruitment of students. To achieve these objectives, the cell organizes courses and training programmes to enhance the aptitude and skill of the students to increase employability. Regular feedbacks are also obtained from the industries on the advances in technology vis-à-vis the facilities in the Institute and appropriate actions are taken.
Teacher Guardian Scheme: Yet another unique scheme of the institute is the teacher guardian scheme. Under this, each student is allotted a specific teacher guardian who provides emotional support, monitors academic performance, provides necessary guidance to the ward and communicates all such details regularly to the parents of the ward. This scheme has received tremendous support from students and parents alike.
|Last date for receipt of completed application forms for JEE & SMIT OFFLINE Test Applicants||23rd May 2014|
|On-line Exam Center booking for MU-OET||www.manipal.edu|
|MU-OET Online Test||www.manipal.edu|
|SMIT OFFLINE Test||25th May 2014|
|Publication of MU-OET Result||www.manipal.edu|
|Publication of SMIT OFFLINE Test Result||2nd June 2014|
|Counselling/Admission for all reserved categories (Sikkim, Defence, GTA, NE, PF) through JEE||8th July 2014|
|Counseling/Admission for JEE candidates (General Category)||8th July 2014|
|Counseling/Admission for MU-OET candidates||To be announced Later|
|Counseling/Admission for SMIT OFFLINE candidates||10th & 12th July ,2014|
|Commencement of first semester||1st August 2014|
|Lateral Entry through Diploma/Degree last date for receipt of applications||7th August 2014|
|Lateral Entry through Diploma/ Degree date of counseling||8th August 2014|
- JEE Main Entrance Examination (Conducted by CBSE)
- MU-OET (Conducted by Manipal University all over India). Website URL www.manipal.edu
- SMIT Offline Entrance Test. URL (website)- www.smit.smu.edu.in
|Based on All India JEE Main Score|
|MU-OET# / SMIT OFFLINE TEST *||General||54|
# Entrance Test conducted by Manipal University, Manipal, * SMIT Offline Test conducted by SMU, ! Gorkha Territorail Administration, + Paramilitary Force.
Mode of Payment
- The fee should be remitted by a demand draft in favour of “Sikkim Manipal University” payable at Gangtok.
- Parents who are unable to pay fees by DD can deposit their ward’s fee through cash by depositing the same in the bank through bank challan available with Finance Department.